These quick tips will help you accurately assess your student's writing skills for their report cards. Remember whenever you are writing these comments; feel free to customize them in order to accurately explain a particular student. Whenever you have to write a negative comment, always include a positive ending statement, if applicable, to show the student is improving or progressing in some ways. Customizing report card comments can be easy if you create notes for each student throughout the entire reporting period. Within these notes make sure that you include all important information regarding the student's writing skills.
1. _____ understands how to accurately use punctuation and easily comprehends the rules regarding punctuation.
2. Has a vocabulary that is substantially larger than most of the other students. Is interested in learning new words, and thus suggest having the child read and write at home.
3. Is able to compile complex sentences that are clear, precise and correct.
4. ____ is willing to learn new writing skills and quickly applies these skills within their writing.
5. Has the ability to copy sentences correctly and enjoys performing this assignment.
6. Needs to increase his or her placement of words. They are often misplaced throughout their writings.
7. Is not able to write clear and understandable sentences.
8. ____ is not willing to listen to direction concerning their writing skills.
9. Seems to be not interested in writing and is easily distracted from this school task.
10. Enjoys writing stories and can compile unique and interesting sentences.
11. Does not understand how to appropriately use commas.
12. Is not respectful of other students with their writing.
13. This student is having a hard time understanding cursive writing. My suggestion is to help him or her at home with their cursive writing skills.
14. _____ can remember most of cursive alphabet, but has a hard time with the following letters (put the letters here), I suggest working with him or her every night with these letters.
15. ____ is behind the rest of the class with his or her writing skills.
16. Is able to clearly write grammar, spelling and punctuation with little to no errors or failing to follow directions.
17. Shows the ability to instantly use spelling, punctuation and grammar rules that were just learned. Is able to quickly comprehend new skills and is eager to apply them to their writing.
18. This student requires extra attention concerning the application of previously learned skills and techniques. He or she is unable to comprehend directions quickly and usually requires further detailed directions.
19. Does not show enthusiasm sharing his or her writing projects with the rest of the classroom. Needs to gain confidence within their writing skills.
20. Rarely is involved in group writing assignments, and does not regularly contribute to the group.
21. Is able to write in a complete and easy-to-understand way. Has the ability to write complex thought patterns.
22. Enjoys writing to help improve their own writing skills. Is able to find his or her own mistakes within their writing.
23. This student utilizes a wide array of writing forms.
24. _____ is able to create clear and effective writing, which is interesting to read and easy to comprehend.
25. Has extremely difficult time remembering previously discussed writing skills and is often found making errors within punctuations, grammar, word usage and overall sentence structure. Needs improvement in basic writing skills.
26. Does not have the ability to edit written text by themselves; requires the assistance of the teacher to make the mildest revisions.
27. _____ is not willing to take part in group writing activities.
28. This student has a low self-confidence when it comes to his or her writing skills. He or she needs to continue practicing their writing skills at home in order to improve them.
29. Has shown great improvement with his or her writing skills and is consistently increasing their writing comprehension and techniques.
30. _____ frequently displays grammatical errors within their writing.
31. _____ needs to work on their handwriting skills. This student is behind the rest of the class concerning this technique, thus I suggest setting aside time at home to practice these skills.
32. Has a great understanding in writing non-phonic words. Is able to spell complex words with little to no errors.
33. This student is unable to write complex words and is frequently misspelling non-phonic words.
34. _____'s overall quality of work is quite poor and has not shown improvements.
35. Performs carelessly with his or her writing assignments.
36. Does not show interest in learning writing skills and is disinterested quickly.
37. _____ take's pride in their writing work, and exhibits confidence with their writing skills.
38. Is not afraid to showcase their writing skills in front of the class.
39. This student is conscious of putting neatness into their daily writing work, and is usually found going above-and-beyond the minimal requirements.
40. Is able to take directions well and instantly apply them to his or her writing skills.
41. Enjoys performing their writing assignments independently and is enthusiastic about all writing assignments.
42. Needs to work on handwriting skills.
43. Understands how to incorporate complex words into their sentences while still keeping the tone and flow natural.
44. ____ is strongly encouraged to engage in home writing activities to help improve his or her writing skills and overall quality of work.
45. Requires constant supervision and direct assistance with their writing assignments and is unable to complete an entire assignment without writing errors.
46. Highly suggest reviewing cursive writing skills at home to help improve their cursive writing skills.
47. Is able to write correct spelling, punctuation and language when writing short, simple sentences.
48. _____ needs improvement placing correct language and punctuation within simple sentences.
49. This student is unable to compose complex sentences that are clear and grammatically correct. I suggest reviewing writing skills and techniques at home to help improve writing quality and errors.
50. _____ is a great speller!